Communities of Quality (COQ)
Communities of Quality®
National Recognition and Awards Program
Get recognized as a Community of Quality®
through NAHMA’s National Recognition and Awards Program.
Affordable housing providers who create safe, attractive, well-maintained properties that are neighborhood assets deserve to be recognized for their outstanding achievements. That’s why the National Affordable Housing Management Association created the Communities of Quality® (COQ) National Recognition and Awards program. When your property meets NAHMA’s high standards in physical maintenance, financial management, programs and services, employee credentials and other criteria, it becomes a member of an elite group.
COQ properties qualify for regional and national awards, a listing in an online registry of the country’s top affordable properties,and the use of COQ marketing materials. See below for participation and program details.
How to get involved in the Communities of Quality program:
- APPLY: Visit http://www.nahma.org/content/coq_recognition.html for a COQ recognition program application, as well as electronic (scanning) submission guidelines, video tutorial, frequently asked questions and additional program information.
- PROMOTE: A complete COQ Welcome kit will be mailed to the property contact, and congratulatory letters will be mailed to representatives at the management company and owner. The Welcome Kit will contain a sample press release, draft letters to congressional representatives, and details on COQ promotional products such as banners and signs – all helpful in celebrating your significant accomplishment as a Community of Quality!
- AWARDS: NAHMA’s annual national COQ awards contest entry form is posted by June each year at http://www.nahma.org/content/coq_awards.html. Eligible properties that have not yet won a national COQ award are welcome to re-enter the contest each year; however, previous national award winners are not eligible to re-compete.
- PARTNER: The portfolio calculation can be based on either number of units or number of properties managed in the company’s affordable portfolio and is self-reported. This designation was created specifically to honor management companies that successfully maintain a significant portion of their properties to the high standards of the COQ National Recognition program.
- RENEW: Don’t let your valuable accomplishment expire – renew your COQ recognition every two years by submitting the renewal application posted to http://www.nahma.org/content/coq_recognition.html.
For more details, contact Paulette Washington at email@example.com or 703-683-8630, ext. 110.
For additional program details, please click on the bulletted header links below:
Through the Communities of Quality® (COQ) National Recognition program, multifamily properties can be certified as having achieved a high standard of excellence in the way they are managed, the services they provide residents, the experience and training of personnel, and other criteria. Please click on the Recognition Program header link above for complete program details; key documents are listed below for your convenience.
*Beginning in 2010, NAHMA will only accept electronic submissions of the COQ application. Please refer to Electronic Submissions Guidelines below for instructions on submitting an electronic application. Please email Paulette Washington at NAHMA with any questions you may have.
COQ National Recognition Program Application (WORD Format)
COQ Electronic Submissions Guidelines
COQ Renewal Application (WORD Format)
COQ Frequently Asked Questions - Application Process
COQ Application Invoice
The National Affordable Housing Management Association (NAHMA) is pleased to provide this database of Communities of Quality® (COQ) properties. This is a great tool to use when trying to locate a nationally recognized Communities of Quality property. You are able to search the COQ database by city, state, property name, or management company. Please click on the National Registry header link above to begin your search.
The Communities of Quality Awards honor the achievements of affordable housing providers who make an unprecedented contribution to developing outstanding properties for families of modest means. The awards are co-sponsored by HD Supply™ Multifamily Solutions, a leading supplier of maintenance and renovation products to the multihousing industry, and RealPage, a leader in property management solutions.
The COQ awards recognize outstanding property-management companies that demonstrate the highest possible quality of safe, affordable housing for lower-income families at particular sites. Please click on the Awards header link above for complete program details; a key document is listed below for your convenience.
COQ Corporate Partner Designation
Management companies that have at least 50 percent of their property portfolio accepted into the COQ National Recognition program qualify for the Communities of Quality® Corporate Partner Designation. The portfolio calculation can be based on either number of units or number of properties managed in the company’s affordable portfolio and is self-reported. This designation was created specifically to honor management companies that successfully maintain a significant portion of their properties to the high standards of the COQ National Recognition program.
Earn a Significant Mark of Distinction for your Company!
Earning this COQ corporate designation is truly an outstanding accomplishment, and it publicly declares that these companies are among the finest managers of affordable multifamily housing in the industry. This designation will add value to the brand of each participating management company and to the Communities of Quality program. We believe that corporate support for this designation will catapult the COQ program into a well-known nationally recognized program honoring excellence in the affordable housing industry.
Please email Paulette Washington at NAHMA indicating your desire to apply for the COQ corporate partner designation. Include supporting information that shows your management company has reached the 50 percent portfolio threshold.
® Communities of Quality is Registered in the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Disclaimer: Properties that meet the COQ National Recognition criteria may hold themselves forth to the public as such. However, NAHMA and the AHMAs do not assume and hereby disclaim any and all liability to any person or entity for any claims, damages, liability or other loss including, without limitation, any liability for injury or other damage resulting from any use of or reliance on the information provided through the COQ National Recognition and Awards Program. NAHMA and the AHMAs do not make any express or implied warranties, representations or endorsements whatsoever, or in any way, regarding the properties listed as COQ National Recognition or Award Winners.